Continuum Hospitals of New York was established in January 1997 as a unifying force for four already-distinguished voluntary hospitals: Beth Israel Medical Center-Milton and Carroll Petrie Division; Beth Israel Medical Center-Kings Highway Division; St. Luke’s Hospital; and Roosevelt Hospital. In 2000, the Continuum family welcomed New York Eye and Ear Infirmary into the fold to help broaden the influence of each member institution and solidify the partnership as a whole.
From all corners of Manhattan, we provide state-of-the-art traditional and integrative medicine for the people of New York City.
Centuries-old civic mindedness
Each of Continuum’s partner institutions was established more than a century ago by civic-minded individuals with a shared mission: to improve health, healthcare and communities. Acutely aware of this heritage, Continuum remains committed to delivering excellence in accordance with the highest standards of medical practice, while at the same time conducting groundbreaking research and pioneering enhanced services for patients.
Today, Continuum has an annual operating budget of over $3 billion and delivers inpatient care in five major hospital facilities in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Many things to many people
In addition to its pillar institutions, the Continuum network also encompasses ambulatory health centers and group and private practice settings throughout the New York metropolitan region. Continuum operates more than 2,200 certified beds; provides for over 550,000 days of inpatient care and over one million outpatient visits; has almost 4,500 affiliated physicians; and a work force of over 15,000 individuals, making it the sixth largest private employer in the New York metropolitan region.
Beth Israel Medical Center was originally founded on Manhattan’s Lower East Side in 1889 and was dedicated to serving vulnerable populations, specifically recent Eastern European Jewish immigrants. Today, Beth Israel remains true to its original mission: to provide the highest quality of care with compassion and concern for the patient’s well being.
Beth Israel Medical Center at a glance:
- Licensed,1,106-bed, tertiary care facility on the Lower East Side
- Inpatient services at the Milton and Carroll Petrie Division in Lower Manhattan and the Kings Highway Division in the Midwood section of Brooklyn
- Outpatient and ambulatory care facilities scattered throughout the two boroughs
- Excellence in gastrointestinal disease, chemical dependency, psychiatric disorders and HIV/AIDS research and treatment
- Specializes in heart disease, cancer, neurology, and orthopedics
- Nationally recognized for coronary intervention, general surgery and prostatectomy
- Integrative services available at the Center for Health & Healing and the Department of Pain Medicine and Palliative Care
- Teaching hospital that serves as University Hospital and the Manhattan Campus of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine
St. Luke's and Roosevelt Hospitals was formed in 1979 by a merger of St. Luke's Hospital, adjacent to the campus of Columbia University, and The Roosevelt Hospital, located two blocks west of Columbus Circle. The St. Luke's and Roosevelt Hospitals, established in 1846 and 1871, respectively, brought to their merger extraordinary records of medical "firsts" and commitment to their patients.
St. Luke's and Roosevelt Hospitals at a glance:
- Licensed 1,076-bed hospital on the West Side and Upper Manhattan
- Full-service community and tertiary care hospital with quality clinical care and research
- Nationally recognized for excellence in bariatric surgery, cardiac care, neck and back surgery and total knee replacement
- Strong emphasis on providing compassionate care to patients with social and economic challenges
- Relationships with William F. Ryan Community Health Center and the Council Health Center
- Outreach, including school-based clinics inside area high schools and health-focused activities for an extensive network of church and community groups
- St. Luke’s is a University Hospital of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
New York Eye and Ear Infirmary was founded in 1820 and is the oldest specialty hospital in the Western Hemisphere. The institution was early to recognize the shifting emphasis to outpatient care and adapted its operations to accommodate this trend. Today, renovations and latest technologies have created highly-efficient and attractive ambulatory surgery facilities.
New York Eye and Ear Infirmary at a glance:
- Licensed 103-bed specialty hospital located on East 14th Street in Manhattan
- Long-standing tradition of community outreach, graduate and continuing medical education, and scientific research
- Nationally recognized for excellence in the fields of eye, ear, nose and throat care
- Ophthalmology and otolaryngology departments consistently ranked among best in the country
- Recognized leader in plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Highly regarded among physicians and patients throughout the tri-state area
- Affiliated Teaching Hospital of New York Medical College