Lemon Poppy Seed Angel Food Cake
1 cup cake flour
¾ cup granular no-calorie sweetener
¼ cup cornstarch
2 tsp fresh grated lemon zest
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
12 large egg whites
½ tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp lemon extract
¾ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, no-calorie sweetener, and cornstarch. Stir in the lemon zest and poppy seeds and set aside.
- Combine the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until foamy. Beat in the lemon extract. Beat in the sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the flour mixture over the egg white mixture in 4 additions, gently folding in after each addition. Pour the batter into an ungreased 10-in tube pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Invert the cake pan and cool the cake completely. Loosen the cake from sides of pan with a thin metal spatula. Invert the cake onto a serving platter.
- The cake can be covered in an airtight container and stored at room temperature up to 2 days.
Serves 12; Serving size = 1 slice
Per Serving: Calories 127; Total Fat 0 g ; Saturated Fat 0 g; Cholesterol 0 mg ; Sodium 55 mg; Carbohydrate 26 g; Dietary Fiber 0 g; Sugars 14 g; Protein 5 g
Copyright 2007 American Diabetes Association
From The Big Book of Diabetic Desserts
Reprinted with permission from The American Diabetes Association.
To order this book, please call 1-800-232-6455 or order online at http://shopdiabetes.org