1 skinless chicken breast
2 cups tortilla chips
½ cup chopped onion
2 8-ounce cans of tomato sauce
2 ounces Mexican-style hot tomato sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded jack cheese
Avocado slices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Microwave raw chicken breast following poultry cooking instructions for your microwave.
- Place 1 cup of chips in a glass baking dish and crush them to make a fairly flat layer of chops in the bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl, mix both cans of tomato sauce with the 2 ounces of hot Mexican sauce.
- Pour ½ of the mixture over crushed chips.
- Once chicken breast is cooked through, wait until it is cool enough to touch, then shred.
- Place half the shredded chicken over the mixture in the pan.
- Add a layer of onions, using half the onions.
- Add a layer of mozzarella cheese, using half the cheese.
- Repeat with the Jack cheese.
- Repeat the layers from steps 3-10 with remaining ingredients.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Add sliced avocado (optional) after dish is removed from oven.
Per Serving: Calories 249; Fat 12 g; Calcium 212 mg; Protein 20 g; Carbohydrate 16 g; Fiber 8 g; Sodium 841 mg.
*Recipe courtesy of American Bone Health